This is the travel blog my Mum told me I had to have. I left Brisbane on the 4th of December and will return at the end of the World Cup. I can't promise to update regullary, but at least in the short term I will update with stories from the road. I will try to report the truth but a little bit of Gonzo should also be expected from time to time. Funtheque is the name of the most happening club I found in Malaysia - so I decided to name the blog that to honour the memory.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Donna Martin Graduates

Donna Martin Graduates- and she deserved to too.

What ever happened that sort of grass roots politcal action? It certainly hasn't worked in the movement to get Turkey instituted into the European Union. I don't fully understand the politcal landscape myself, but if Greece is in, and Turkey is out, well then something just isn't right.

I left Greece yesterday, after spending a solid afternoon in Thessalonki (two days ago) I headed for the border. Thessalonki was a solid town, unfortunatly it came on the end of 6 other days in Greece so it didn't rub me the right way. Despite my feelings I can recomend it, a lot, and I mean a lot less slummy then Athens, nice boulevards, a good shopping district and an impressive Alexandar Statue. Anyways, despite my positive reaction it was noticably time to leave Greece.

So I headed East, for some reason North Eastern Greece is blessed with actually decent highways so I made good time, so good infact that I ended up pulling up for the night a good couple of hundred km's further east then I planned, I ended up camping on the side of the road just West of the first sign I had seen for a little place called... Turkey!

The plan for the next day was to go to the small town of Alenxadropoulis (ever a Grail quest despite what some commentators might say). Unfortunatly Alexandroupoulis was lousy for parking so it soon got cut, and I set my nose East in pursuit of Turkish Delights. A half hour short of the border I saw a sign for a natural spring, so thought it might be fun to check it out. It was the last sign I would see for this mysterious Natural Spring, I drove, and drove, for about half an hour down small back roads getting more and more worried about the fact that I was now completly lost. Panic slowly began to approach.

It arrived, in a full blown attack when the fuel light came on. I had driven for forty mintues, criss crossing the National Highway three times (without an entry/exit point) and had still not scene a servo, things were getting dire.

I continued along what seemed like a decent road until it started going up hill, which is when the road detirioted. Then I past a sign advertising I was in a restricted zone- no photos, no filming, no stopping- advertised in 5 different languages. I was in a tight spot. I continued on for a few minutes until the F&L decsended, panic is not a happy place, especially lost, 50 kilometres and about a dozen blind turns from where you had started;

I turned around...

I know, I know, I have spent years telling certain people that your first instincts are the best and that you should never question a decision once its been made, but in this case I felt it was prudent to use caution instead of the rock n roll approach that has dominated this tour so far.

Anyways, long story much shorter within 20 minutes I had hit gold and was on my for Turkey- saved at last.

Not long after I saw signs advertising the Turkish border, expecting an easy, EU style blast across the border I eagerly sped up, that was of course until I saw the M16 brandishing Greek Guard standing at one side of a bridge, things slowed down. Three checkpoints later I had acquired a visa, and also approached a check point without the neccesary documents- an Uzi brandishing, very angry man told me I had to go back. "Where?" I asked, he just seemed to think it was in my best interests to go back, so I did. After some wrangling, and a bunch of the old hands apart shrugging motions the little girls had given me the requisite stamps and I was on my way.

TURKEY!!!! Hooray.

After the hell that was Greece, Turkey was a godsend! Wide, well maintained highways, and, wait for this, massive, well apointed Service Stations- I was back in a real country. Shortly after the border I turned south to head towards Galibolu, and the Gallipoli peninsula.

I soon arrived in the south west of Turkey, the Cannakkle area and as I pulled into a servo for fuel I saw a few yellow signs that looked mysteriously like a wireless internet symbol and a fuel bowser, with a flame of hope rising in my chest I fired up the old Inspirion, and was met with the three greatest words in the English language "Unsecured Wireless Network Available" - okay so that's four words but fuck my spirits soared.

Ever since the Grinch, posing as my book keeper down South at Mirtna Headquarters decided I would be better off not using the Vodaphone modem I have been in a horrible internet black out, but it had all changed now. I was downloading podcasts, torrents, uploading pictures, and surfing the net to my hearts content. Vive Le Turkey! forever and ever.

An hour or so later I had downloaded the latest four epidsodes of Entourages (Drama nails a bird in a chipmunk suit- you have to see it to believe it) and headed down to the town of Gelibolu, what I thought was the sight of the Gallipoli landings. It was a nice little town, a good market, nice port, and some nice illusions to our shared past, but no signs for ANZAC, I began to worry.

After checking out the town I jumped back in Messy and headed north, Google Earth made it look as if that was the way to go, it wasn't.

A small country lane, a heard of cattle, and a deamon three point turn later I tried the southern side of town, also a massive strike. Without options I decided to try heading even further South, all I knew was that there was a national park somewhere, were 1000's of people better then I had fought a battle for a reason that few can still remember, somewhere around the area... but I couldnt find it.

I headed South, and SOUTH for what seemed like an age, it turns out that the town of Gallipoli is no where near the Gallipoli peninsula, ANZAC Cove isn't even on the fucking Dardenelles. Finally I saw a sign, written in Turkish but I could guess the intent and with my heart in my mouth I took a right turn- it worked! and I soon found myself parked at North Beach, Anazac Cove- sight of a certain landing on April 25 1915 that meant a lot to my people.

With sunset arriving I decided it would be a good time to go see the memorial, leaving the rest of the battle fields for the next day...

I could go on, this post is already getting lengthy though, and I'm not the kloss, I won't ask Joe Knorks to write something for me, but I don't know if I am ready to write about the Gallipoli Experience yet. Suffice to say it was an incredible experience that I wouldn't trade for anything else we have done on this trip yet.

After spending the next day walking the battlefields of Gallipoli I headed back North for a days touristing in Instanbul. Which was good, but by this time, 60 odd days into the journey some random ancient town was a little overwhelming. Anyways, I had a good time, I played a fun game of Eurpoe/Asia/Europe walking across a bridge on the harbour, then went to the Blue Mosque- I only counted 5 spikes, but who am I, then went to the Grand Bazzar- which was grand, and it was bizarre- OH MY GOD that is gold...

Anyways, once I was done I went back to the campsite, to rest up for this weekend, and the Istanbul Grands Prix- which is where I am now- its great.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, 90 odd years and three generations later a Lovell has finally been on the beaches of Gallipoli

Hoorah for Will finally making the gigantic step away from the cup of tea and off the boat...

August 28, 2007 at 5:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After the Grinch and Ghost Writer comments I think I'm going to let Ness and FUC sleep in the Fort bed

August 29, 2007 at 2:20 PM

 
Blogger jLo said...

Here's what we want to know about Gallipoli:

DID YOU CRY?

August 29, 2007 at 2:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home