This is the travel blog my Mum told me I had to have. I left Brisbane on the 4th of December and will return at the end of the World Cup. I can't promise to update regullary, but at least in the short term I will update with stories from the road. I will try to report the truth but a little bit of Gonzo should also be expected from time to time. Funtheque is the name of the most happening club I found in Malaysia - so I decided to name the blog that to honour the memory.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

There's still a fortnight of this left?...

So I quickly fled Italy yesterday, but I am starting to wonder if that was the smartest move I could have made. Months, and Months ago I became aware that I had to try and kill a month between the end of the Tour De France and the Start of the big dance.

At the time it sounded easy, even a little exciting, a whole month in the captain's chair of the (then unnamed) HMAS Messy Days Express with all of Europe at my feet. I quickly made my plans, I wanted to see: Puccini Fest, Rome, Cannae, Athens, and the Istanbul Grand Prix. Unfortunatly at the time I didn't give any thought to the fact that this accounted for perhaps 8 days of touristing, when I had to fill over 30.

Now, I am at the coal face, spending each day trying to get more and more touristing done, and I have realised that I have a certain limit to the amount of rediculously unimportant boxes that I can tick at any moment. For instance, three days ago, pure box ticking in Naples- possibly one of the boringest afternoons of my life. Another example, my current situation, I fled Italy as I was bored and over it and am now in Greece... But the problem is I don't really have anything I really, really, want to see in Greece. Sure there is the obvious boxes of the Acropolis, Thermopoalae, Delphi, Knossos, and Marathon, but apart from that I can't really think of what I am going to do.

Seriously, I have come up with about 3.5 days of touristing to cover the next fortnight- add on Gallipoli, Troy, and maybe the sights of Istanbul on Grand Prix day and we're at about a week- this still leaves me a week short.

What to do for a week in Greece/Turkey? Seriously, I am looking for idea's here people. I have gotten all the idea's I possibly could of our friends at Poundster.com, and am still short- so any idea's are welcome in the comments section.

Also, I have to get from Instanbul to Paris between the 26th and 3rd of September. I have Venice and the Last Supper in Milan on the list for this period, but that is maybe an afternoon, so need some other things to do that weekend.

Folks, I am down to re reading Tucker Max and my Thomas Clancey that I read on the way over to the UK, I am desperate for things to do to fill my days. Suggestions Please.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you driving back to Paris or catching the ferry back to Italia? 'Cause driving gives you Montenegro, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia & Solvina. Then on your way to Milano you could stop and play 'Young Man of Verona' for a day and maybe find a Juliet. Ticks a few boxes and really puts Rossco behind in the Number of Countries Race. (And whats wrong with the Fuel Injection System?)

August 15, 2007 at 3:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will

An honest suggestion?

Penis extension...sorry, it was too easy

Serious, its the big holiday for you...find a beach (I hear Turkey and Greece have millions) download some novels or buy them, and buy a couple cartons of beer...RELAX padre

Thats all i can suggest

Ticking boxes are great, but dont tick them for the sake of ticking them...enjoy yourself...

Im thinking beers, beach and some local cuisine...

Dav

PS James, Eating an expensive meal on the main street and buying a new t shirt in a "boutique" isnt seeing a city

August 17, 2007 at 7:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home