This is the travel blog my Mum told me I had to have. I left Brisbane on the 4th of December and will return at the end of the World Cup. I can't promise to update regullary, but at least in the short term I will update with stories from the road. I will try to report the truth but a little bit of Gonzo should also be expected from time to time. Funtheque is the name of the most happening club I found in Malaysia - so I decided to name the blog that to honour the memory.

Monday, January 1, 2007

The Lamest New Years Ever?

The day before New Years I was feeling a little melancholy, it got to about six at night and I realised that the lads would probably soon be getting ready to head to the New Years Eve golf challange and here I was in lame old England. Joe Norks and I had done little all day (a tip for everyone if you plan to go out with Joe Norks make sure you add two hours for how long it takes her to get ready to do anything) we had tried to go to the Spitlefield Markets but they were closed, then had an unispiring burger at a pub near Liverpool St Station.

So we decided to head to the Reliance, a charming local with interior decorations from the ship, The Reliance. Two of Joe Norks' Canberra friends came to meet us and we ended up having a largish night, my few memories from the end of the night include jumping in a cab alone and asking to be taken to a 'cool club', then meeting a girl in said club (no idea where the club was, but the girls name was spookily enough, Anne), then waking up the next morning on a random couch with clothing still fully intact- I bid a hasty retreat.

So slept most of new years eve day, trying to recover and come up with something to do that night. Robbie Paul, (or is that Mr Robbie Paul these days) was equally unfull of exciting ideas so we decided to meet for the fireworks later- I couldn't belive it myself as I said it.

So Smokey Joe Camel and I went to dinner at the Brick Lane, which was really just a whole bunch of indian resturants all located in the same place- big deal, I've been to Sunnybank before... Then we walked into town to go to the fire works, only we got into the middle of town faster then expected so ran out of Offie's to buy piss at, so we walked, and walked (the centre of town is pretty big) until we finally got near to where the fire works would be, when we reached a barraicade, the fucking Bobbies had decided to stop letting people onto Embankment past Temple, so we couldn't get in to meet Mr and Missus Robert Paul for New Years- Not happy.

We finally found an offliscence to buy some beers, waiting in a line for 30 minutes to get into it, and then raced down to the river banks to ring in the New Year.

The Fireworks were pretty well located, the London Eye and houses of Parliament giving it a nice back drop- but for someone who is generally underwhelmed by Riverfire the best of Britain just wouldn't do- There was no sense of Drama, no sound track, and no Dump and Burn!!! I mean really, what's a fire works display without the best of the Airforce commiting some needless pollution.

So after the fireworks we went home, in bed my 1 after having all of three beers all night- very, very lame.

In a post scipt- the next morning we found out that some fireworks had been visible to Tony and Amelie on the balcony of the Pickle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home