This is the travel blog my Mum told me I had to have. I left Brisbane on the 4th of December and will return at the end of the World Cup. I can't promise to update regullary, but at least in the short term I will update with stories from the road. I will try to report the truth but a little bit of Gonzo should also be expected from time to time. Funtheque is the name of the most happening club I found in Malaysia - so I decided to name the blog that to honour the memory.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

wEST

So I left Istanbul, with a final destintation of Paris in my sites. I have to be there by the third to pick up the

lads for the worlds cup, in between Istanbul and Paris were a bunch of boxes that still required ticking so I

needed to rush as fast as possible across the more bleak parts of Eastern Europe.

Here are my notes from the trip:

7:11 AM - Not moving, got boxed in by trucker SOB's over night.

I didn't get as far last night as I hoped, the moonshine headache I had when I woke after the GP was a

killer, 200 KM short of the goal.

7:25 AM- Underway

8:05 - 40 Mins, 70 km's, Bored.

9:00 AM- 1st sign for Sofiya, 320 KM's just shy of border.

9:05 AM- at the border, didn't get fuel before I did... Longish line, I'm bored- Praise the lord for Podcasts

9:23 AM- Slow moving line!!

9:45 AM- i'm about half way along I think

9:50 AM- Just got a rails run through the passport control, Thanks Turkish version of Skia.

10:05 AM- Have done the Turkey side of things, now the Bulgarian side.

10:06 AM- The EU? (no)

10:23 AM- For Fuck's Sake!

10:35 AM- I think the tour de France promo Sausage may be Contraband!!! (they were)

10:45 AM- Disinfection Charge?

10:47 AM- BULGARIA!

10:52 AM- On the way to Sofiya, 191.4 KM's, 66 KM/hr, 2 Hours 51 Mins

11:45 AM- Tough going, Single lane highway- Oriely hates the Muslims

12:10 PM- Can't even overtake- Slow

12:45 PM- Down to Hannity now, need to ration out the podcasts...

2:05 PM- I'm shattered, 20 KM short of Sofiya, need a break.

3:20 PM- Onwards to Belgrade (I skipped Sofiya due to poor signage).

3:30 PM- How do you get to Serbia?

3:43 PM- Belgrade, turn right- 380 KM - Hooray (CCR- CoComotion)

4:03 PM- Fucking cops everywhere here, Police State?

4:25 PM- Serbian Border less then 6 hours across the country... now have to get across the border, sigh

4:27 PM- Another rails run? Line of truckes was 1.5 KM long! Customs agents love to laugh about the fact I have no friends.

4:31 PM- Problem with Serbia is Kosovo and Land Mine... Lousy DFAT. Another problem is long line at Customs.

5:00 PM- SERBIA!
Almost too easy.

5:25 PM- No land mines yet.

5:55 PM- Prett Mountains and george.

6:30 PM- On a toll road, no currency...

7:00 PM- 150 KM to Belgrad, starting to struggle. 740 Km's, 75 KM/HR, 10 hours.

8:35 PM- After 3 stops at servo's I finally got some currency. Got to the toll both and htey accept Euro's///

10:30 PM- Back from a walk around Belgrade. Nice Town. Did Macca's test then went looking for Red Light

district. No Nudie Bars but lots, and lots of hardbodies, St Lucia campus flash backs.

10:55 PM- Zagreb sign!
307KM- Serejvo, 326 KM- Zagreb

11:07 PM- Servo- Stopped for the day.

Day 2.
7:25 AM- Full of fuel, away 4 the day. Target= Italy! Out of Podcasts so at some point will need interneet.

7:30 AM- J Cash- I'm so lonely I could cry. A new contender for Rhyso's Better Be Home Soon tear jerker.

8:15 AM- Croatian border- 2nd last??? (no three more)

8:21 AM- CROATIA
- Very quick border, there are two ticks in the note book.

8:33 AM- His Feet they used to Sparkle, and he always kept them on the ground. La La La La La.

8:50 AM- Stay on the road this long and you see some fucked up accidents. One in Turkey was was worse

but no way people walked away from that one. Less note taking and more running at 110 per hour I think!

10:00 AM- Now listening to some Anthony Robbins. I do feel totally Self Confident! 80 KM's till Zagreb.

10:52 AM- Missed the turn for Zagreb - now Slovenia?

11:05 AM- the Serbian Border!

11:11 AM- Nothing to declare. I need a ruling - I never actually put my feet down on croatian soil?

11:17 AM- SLOVENIA!!
Border guy couuldn't believe the poster of the Goddess of the Bus!

11:45 AM- Highway to Lubjlana just became a goat track, might not be in Italy for lunch...

12:30 PM- Full of fuel, just realised I havn't been in big blue for near a week - bring on the coast!

12:43 PM- First Italy sign. The end is in site... 1st a stop in Lubjlana.

12:48 PM- No way into Lubiljana- now heading away from Italy- this isn't good. 15 Hrs 1417 Km 82 KM/HR.

1:05 PM- Fuck It! Italy or bust.

2:00 PM- Lunch has been had- Lets finish this.

2:22 PM- 33 Km to go. Hooray

2:25 PM- Tom Tom is back to life. No roads yet, but close.

2:30 PM- Poor signsage near the border, am lost.

2:32 PM- Italian border.

2:35 PM- he made me turn on my lites???

2:37 PM- ITALY

No more Eastern Europe - This party is over. 1500 KM 18 driving hours average 82 KM/hr

One last thought- what the fuck was the little stuggling baby type thing in the Kings Cross scene at the end of HP??? I don't think it was explained.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am dissapointed, too much Anthony Robbins, and not enough Zagreb. Were you dictating that as you drove? I can just see you Agent Cooper style 'Diane its 9:05, just missed the turn to Zagreb, damn that American goody two shoes tall pratt'. Or something like that....
Frankie

August 29, 2007 at 11:45 AM

 
Blogger jLo said...

Ahahaha, Anthony Robbins. YOU CAN DO IT, BILLY! JUST BELIEVE!

Not actually setting foot on Croatian soil was an oversight, in my opinion. You can make the argument, but there'll always be room for doubt.

Oh, and (HP spoiler alert):

It was the bit of V's soul that had been living in Harry, the horcrux or whatever.

August 29, 2007 at 2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home